Administrative services managers are responsible for planning, directing, and coordinating supportive services within an organization. The administrative service manager job profile may vary in different organizations, but all of them are generally responsible for maintaining facilities and supervising activities that may include record keeping, documents distribution, and office administration tasks.
An administrative services manager in a small organization may be the only personnel handling the whole department, however, large organizations often have multiple administrative services executives who are supervised by a manager.
The administrative service manager can at times be a stressful job as it involves juggling multiple responsibilities and dealing with people within and outside the organization.
If you are planning to pursue a job as an administrative service manager, this article is for you. Read on to know the required education, qualifications, skills, and abilities to work as an administrative services manager and to grow your career to the next level.
Administrative Service Manager Job Description
Administrative services and support managers typically have the following roles and responsibilities in their job profile.
- Supervise and support clerical and administrative staff.
- Set goals and deadlines for the department.
- Maintain and supervise record keeping.
- Identify and implement procedures to improve operations of the department.
- Monitor and ensure the safety and security of the organization.
- Supervise the periodic and emergency maintenance and repair works including machinery, equipment, and other tangible areas of the organization.
- Ensure the organization is adhering to and comply with government regulations.
- Ensure that the organization has the supplies and services it needs.
- Examine and monitor energy consumption patterns, technology usage, and office equipment and recommend ways to cut costs and improve profitability.
- Monitor and ensure workplace health and safety.
Administrative service managers are responsible to plan, coordinate, and conduct a broad range of tasks that allow organizations to operate efficiently.
Qualifications & Knowledge Required for Administrative Services Managers
Generally, a bachelor’s degree is required for the post of administrative services manager, however, some organizations do not require a degree and may hire someone with a high school certificate also. Academic qualification is a big plus when working in the capacity of an administrative services manager, but your work knowledge, skills, and expertise matters most. You must have an in-depth understanding of the following.
- Knowledge of administrative procedures and systems.
- Command over software like word processing, spreadsheets, managing files and records.
- Know how to do clerical stuff like stenography and transcription, designing forms etc.
- Perfect understanding of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services including customer needs assessment, quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- In depth knowledge of procedures of personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Working knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
Skills Required to Work as an Administrative Service Manager
- Coordinating with various teams for the all benefit of the organization.
- Comprehension of all official documents.
- Team leading.
- Time Management.
- Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Abilities an Administrative Service Manager Must Have
- Ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
- Ability to see details at close range.
The Bottom Line
The above information will surely help you create an impressive administrative services manager resume and apply for the relevant jobs with confidence. To make your administrative services manager resume perfect, you must clearly state your skills, knowledge, and abilities required for the job.