How to Find & Get Job with Criminal Record?
In present economy where it’s difficult for an ordinary job seeker to find a good job, situation may get worst in case if you’ve a past criminal record. Although a past criminal record doesn’t discriminate you, most of the employers might not feel comfortable in working with you if they discover about it.
In order to make sure that you get a good job, you must find the correct one first. Below are some points for finding and getting job with a criminal record in past.
- Very first step you should take is to try to get the offense sealed or expunged from record. It doesn’t mean to use illegal means to get it deleted, but just to get a privacy setting with which it should not be accessible to everyone.
- Find a list of jobs for which your history may automatically disqualify you, i.e. government jobs requiring security clearances, some military jobs, dealing children etc. Some of these jobs might still be open for you, depending upon the charged you had in past, so make your own list.
- Exclude all the careers from your list where you’ve doubts about getting them. Trying to get such jobs is just waste of time.
- Start building up professional connections, i.e. on Linkedin and other professional networking websites.
- Search online for the jobs that you’re sure you can get with a criminal record and apply online.
- Do submit your resume to local placement agencies.
- Do not initiate a conversation about your past or anything else that would require you to explain the offense you committed.
- Be honest about your record if asked in the interview.
- If you’re not being hired for a higher position as employer might be reluctant in giving you the responsibility, taking a smaller start is not bad idea. It’s always good to gain training and experience in a company that can open more doors in future.
At the end if you still do not manage to get a good job with past criminal record, you still have chances to go ahead. You can always employ yourself if denied of the opportunities in the market. Think of a small business that needs either low or zero investment.